Thursday, November 8, 2007

Shopping et L'avortement

Trying to purchase all of the November birthday presents AND Christmas presents in a few hours is an arduous task. I failed at this attempt, but at least I got ahead in my shopping list. Before getting to the mall, I spent about 35 minutes stuck in traffic and trying to find alternate routes, while being swept away by gorgeous Indian music being played at Radio Universidad, an amazing radio station. All the Christmas decorations are starting to show in various places and it feels so exciting! In a clothes boutique I admire some dresses while 3 ladies from the good-old USA stare at me from the lobby, I pass them by, smile and quickly heard then say:"She's a model." "Oh yeah, look at the way she walks." I really don't know what part of my jeans, Eiffel Tower t-shirt, purple backpack and hair in waves screams model to someone, but I guess my posture is still good, yes! It's annoying to go to a store that has a minimum of $5 for credit cards and ATMs when you are cash-less and just want a bagel and some ice tea. Luckily, my friends at the fake French restaurant don't have that policy.


Yesterday, at French class, the professor had the brilliant idea of talking about abortion and making everyone participate. I consider that topic to be so controversial that, at times with certain people, it's not worth it to bring it up. I was right. Conversation is fine, but when a girl says that she is pro-choice and explains a situation that a friend of hers had, the angry group of people who have the same, weak arguments got their claws out. I was enjoying every second of it, until a girl decides to say:"Life begins at the womb, when the child is 3 weeks old." If you know me well, you know I can’t stay quiet after a comment like that has been made.

C:”Oh really? Who told you that?”
Girl :( getting really defensive)”Studies have shown that.”
C: “And why can’t life start before that?”
Girl: “Because…..”
C: “You have no proof of that, why can’t it start at the moment of fertilization?"
Girl: “Because studies have shown…!!!”

At that point I realize that it’s not worth it to continue because someone without a curious mind believes everything that they hear, especially if you use the word:”scientific studies.” Well, a lot of people use those terms for studies that have absolutely no scientific base and doesn't even involve the scientific methods for investigation. So I walk away and leave her to argue with another girl who had something else in mind.

2 comments:

Meche said...

Radio Universidad freakin rules!!!!!! =D

And that girl has issues. You can't argue and pretend to prove something by just saying "studies have shown". Inform yourself, quote the sources! Maybe she's La Comay's illegitimate daughter.

Cristina said...

Hahahahaha,probably.