Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The day that was never expected

This week has been fine. I've been trying to deal with some issues, which were completely overshadowed with a phone call. I sit at the library, working on an investigation with some classmates, when I see that my oldest sister Alma is calling. She says that she needs me to be the best I can be, and I don't understand why she says this, surely something has happened. My curiosity can't wait, I tell my friends to keep on working while I head outside the Natural Sciences library in order to speak to her properly. I'm not expecting very serious news; once I'm in the lobby she says IT with an uneasy voice. I can't believe what she just said, my stunned face made some busy students look at me with wondering eyes. I immediately run to the back of the building, where there aren't many passing by and just curl up into a corner like a toddler who had just been punished. Every emotion rushes in, frustration, fear, concern and disappointment. I knew I’d said that 2008 was going to be a year of change, but I was only referring to my life as a graduate student and the fun times ahead with friends and family. Now, I understand that ANYTHING is possible, even from the people you least expect it. I also feel lied to, but I will deal with my emotions like I always do, so when the one person who needs to share this with me does, I won’t make her feel worse with my reaction. It’s tough to look at my mother who sits unaware in our couch, thinking that I’m just upset over trivial things. I need a big hug; I also need to get away for a while. Anyone want to travel?

No comments: