Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Racial Confusion

For a late lunch after school, I visited one of my favorite Chinese food places. I’ve been visiting that restaurant ever since I can remember, now referring to it as “Dad’s Chinese food restaurant”, simply because my father used to take me there all the time. As I wait for my food, the non-Chinese waiters talk amongst themselves…

Old lady: “I think they’re Koreans.”
Young lady: ”They might not be.”
Old lady; “Well, tell me, what other races are Chinese as well?”
Young lady: “Ummm…Japanese people…..”
By this point I need to cut in….Me: “Vietnam, people from Vietnam are not Chinese.”
Old lady: “Oh yeah! Those are the ones that do my nails !!!!!!”
Young lady: “Mine too!!!!”
Old lady: (to me)“But they are Chinese, they look the same!”
Me: “They have similar physical characteristics that might not be distinguished by us, but if you ask your co-workers (The Chinese men that are cooking right behind them) they’ll tell you they look way different, because they can tell the difference.”
Old lady: (looks at me with a confusing look on her face)

Well, at least I tried.


I was very embarrassed at French class when I couldn’t say something right, my professor makes me nervous!

It was very pleasant taking the train this morning. I got up early and even had the chance to have a relaxing breakfast while watching the Weather Channel. I was practicing my French phonetics at the train when a girl comes out of nowhere and starts talking French to me. How awesome! She’s a graduate student at the University and loved her French courses when she was an undergrad. I was so happy to talk to her for a good 15 minutes.

FYI: Kany Garcia’s CD is very good. Great songwriting complemented by her beautiful, mature voice.

Oh! Today I made cupcakes with my mom and my niece. They were yum.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want cupcakes!!!!

Unknown said...

ps: yeah, a lot of ppl have the wrong attitude about asian cultures. "son to's chinos" is a really ignorant way of looking at it. But we really can't do much about it. At least you tried to make some ppl understand.