Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year 2008 !!!


Since I've been in Arlington, VA for about 4 days, I was a bit worried about spending the new year away from my family in Puerto Rico. This was, the first time. I was even more worried and sad about that day when I learned that my sister had to work from 7pm 'til 3am (she works at a hotel) I did a quick search for fun activities in DC, I got a whole lot of nothing, mostly hotels and restaurants offering huge buffets and music for a huge amount of money. I then read about First Night in Alexandria..... just what I wanted.

As we ate a late lunch at Red Robbin, we began planing what we could do for New Year's Eve, my brother-in-law didn't seem so excited about the options. I couldn't believe that there were no outside, fun activities going on in DC, he said that they were more common for the fourth of July. A bit disconcerted, I checked online and saw again the First Night in Alexandria event, checked out their website and decided to tell them about this. It was the perfect choice! We got there at 9:15pm just in time for great modern jazz from the Jonathan Parker Quartet. The Quartet was composed of young musicians, they all gave an amazing performance. After the jazz at the Atrium Building, we walked a block over to the Lyceum and saw Quin Tango ! The group is composed of two violinist, a cello player, bass player and a pianist. The little concert had pieces by Carlos Gardel and Piazzolla ! Needless to say, I was in musical paradise. When the first chords from :"Para una Cabeza" from Carlos Gardel played, I went into the nostalgic world of tango music, one that I have a great love for. We were all delighted.


The weather was incredibly cold, with 30 something degrees I was sure to bundle up. We walked and took a bus, complimentary with our cool First Night Alexandria passes, to the George Washington Memorial for a great concert from the Perennial all male a capella singers, while we waited for the New Year to arrive. There were a lot of people there but just enough to make it fun and comfortable. We took pictures and got New Year's hugs while we watched an amazing fireworks display, just for us.






I have been very negative about this trip, mainly because I wanted to share it with two special people in my life, one did make it. It felt rewarding to have chosen activities that were both fun for me and my family. We had a great time, and I feel even more independent and at ease.

Sure, I missed all my family and friends back home, but I got a great experience and it was all because I didn't give up on having fun.

My dad and brother-in-law talked about New Year's resolutions, it seems like its something people do and never own up to it, but it is always good to set goals for yourself, that keeps me even more motivated in life. For 2008, I expect great things and lots of changes, my graduation, my niece's kindergarden graduation, starting medical school and hopefully meeting new people. I feel very optimistic and ready for the challenges, 2008..... here I go!


While speaking to my brother-in-law about the wonderful world of human relationships, and people making up excuses he quotes.....
"EXCUSES are like armpits, you have a couple of them and they both stink !"

No comments: